Navigate using the links to read on policies and procedures implemented by the College. For any questions or clarifications, you may contact the Office of the College Secretary.

 A student must be officially registered in order to receive credit for course work. No student shall be registered in any subject after one week of regular class meetings have been held, unless the Dean, on the basis of his scholastic record, permits his registration; Provided, that if registration is made outside the regular registration period indicated in the University calendar, the student shall be subject to fine for late registration; Provided further, that special students may register at any time without the payment of the fine for late registration subject to other regulations of the University. Students may register for particular subjects within a semester when permissible under the system of instruction adopted by the college. [Art. 337, UP Code]



Within the University System. No student shall be registered in any other college of the University System without the permission of the dean of the college in which he is primary enrolled. A UPLB Form is accomplished for cross-registration purposes. A student who requests permission to cross-register for courses in another college should first complete his registration (including payment of fees) in the college where he is primary enrolled. The total number of units of credit for which a student may register in two or more colleges in this University should not exceed the maximum number allowed in the rules on academic load. [Art. 339, UP Code]

To Another Institution. The University of the Philippines System gives no credit for any course taken by any of its students in any other institution unless taking such course was duly authorized by the Chancellor upon recommendation of the Dean concerned. The written authorization is to be recorded by the University Registrar and should specify the subjects authorized. [Art. 340, UP Code]



For undergraduate students, the academic load is a maximum of 18 non-laboratory units or 21 units including laboratory except in programs where the normal semestral load is more than 18 units. However, a graduating student with very good academic record may be permitted to carry heavier load in his last year.

During the summer session, the normal load is 6 units, but in justifiable cases, the Dean may allow up to 9 units. Application forms for overload are available at the Office of the College Secretary.



A student may add or cancel a course or transfer to another section on or before the last day of late registration. All transfers to other classes shall be made only for valid reasons. Changes in matriculation shall be effected through the prescribed form (UP Form 26) and must be approved by the Dean and submitted to the Registrar. A fee shall be charged for each change of matriculation; except in cases when a class is dissolved or when a change in class schedule is duly authorized by the Registrar. Failure to submit the approved application form to the Registrar or College Secretary within one week after the last day of registration shall be a basis for invalidation the application for change of matriculation.

A student should not register a course when its prerequisite course(s) had not been satisfied.

During each semester/summer, the college secretary is required to cancel all registered courses whose prerequisite(s) have not been passed or without previously approved waiver of prerequisite(s).



(Approved by the CEAT Faculty on June 24, 2013; Effective 2nd Semester 2013-2014)

It is the College policy not to allow the waiver of prerequisite(s) for the following courses:

  1. Institute of Agricultural Engineering

    It is the Institute's policy not to allow the waiver of prerequisite(s) for the following courses:

    ABE 47/ AENG 70 (Farm Electrification Design)

    ABE 50/ AENG 30 (Refrigeration and Cold Storage)

    ABE 51/ AENG 31 (Crop Processing I)

    ABE 73/ AENG 42 (Soil and Water Conservation Engineering)

    Note: The prerequisite(s) of the above courses may be waived provided that the student is graduating within one year from the time of application and that he/she had previously attended the prerequisite course(s).

  2. Department of Chemical Engineering

    Courses approved by the University Council as prerequisites to other courses shall not be waived except in highly meritorious cases:

    1. To a student who has previously enrolled and fully attended a course/courses that is/are a prerequisite/s to another. The student who is granted permission under these rules is required to enroll in the prerequisite course(s) simultaneously with the course to which the former is a prerequisite (if both courses are offered in the same semester and not in conflict), or immediately in the next semester.
    2. To a student who is graduating within one year from the time of application, and when it is most likely that the student will pass the higher course based on his academic record.
  3. Department of Civil Engineering

    All CE courses except:

    CE 132 and CE 133 provided that the student had previously enrolled and fully attended the prerequisite course and obtained a grade of 5.00 and at least passed one (1) exam.

    CE 161 and CE 162 provided that the student had previously enrolled and fully attended the prerequisite course(s) and that the student is of senior standing at the time of application.

  4. Department of Electrical Engineering

    All EE courses except:

    EE 1 may be waived provided that the student is graduating on the same semester of application and that he/she had previously attended the prerequisite courses.

    EE 158 may be waived provided that the student is graduating on the same semester of application and that he/she had previously attended the prerequisite course, EE 151 (for electronics/computer engineering majors only).

    EE 180 and EE 181 may be waived provided that the student is graduating on the same semester of application.

  5. Department of Industrial Engineering

    All IE courses may be waived except for IE 32 and IE 142.

    Addendum on highly meritorious cases that may be waived:

    1. To a student who has previously enrolled and fully attended a course/courses.
      1. The waived subject and the prerequisite has to be simultaneously taken
      2. "Or immediately in the next semester" will not apply since the critical path will still be adversely affected and waiver on a waiver is not allowed since it will still NOT permit the student to graduate on time
    2. To a student who is graduating within one year [or the student can show that inability to take the course will adversely affect his/her plan of coursework and date of graduation.]**
      1. Only for those graduating students under regular loading based on the IE course semester number of units.
      2. ... most likely that the student will pass the higher course based on his academic record.  Previous semester (not including Summer) must be GOOD or WARNING status only and its prerequisite must be taken simultaneously.

     **Statement enclosed in bracket were added and approved by the CEAT Faculty in its meeting on April 8, 2010.


  6. Department of Engineering Science

1. Prerequisite to the following courses cannot be waived because these courses require a solid understanding of fundamental mathematics and/or physics concepts.

ENSC 10a (Engineering Graphics I)

ENSC 11 (Statics of Rigid Bodies)

ENSC 12 (Dynamics of Rigid Bodies)

ENSC 13 (Strength of Materials)

ENSC 14 (Basic Thermodynamics)

ENSC 14a (Engineering Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer)

ENSC 21 (Mathematical Methods in Engineering)

2. Prerequisite to the following courses may be waived provided that the student is graduating within one year from the time of application and that the student had previously attended at least 80% of the class sessions in the prerequisite course/s as certified by the faculty-in-charge in the prerequisite course/s.

ENSC 10b (Engineering Graphics II)

ENSC 15 (Fundamentals of Heat Transfer)

ENSC 16 (Fluid Mechanics)

ENSC 16b (Fluid Mechanics Laboratory)

ENSC 18 (Materials of Engineering)

ENSC 26 (Computer Applications in Engineering)

     It is the College policy to disapprove the application of waiver of prerequisite(s) under the following conditions:

  1. For any course in which a student failed the prerequisite where a waiver was previously granted and the prerequisite has not yet been passed (Waiver on a waiver is not allowed)
  2. For courses with two or more prerequisites,
    1. if a student failed in at least two prerequisites;
    2. if a student failed in prerequisite A and passed prerequisite B in which a waiver was previously granted and the prerequisite D to this course (B) has not yet passed.


Any student who, for unavoidable cause, absents himself from class must obtain an excuse slip from the Office of the College Secretary . The approved excuse slip must be presented to the instructor(s) concerned not later than the second class session following the student's return. In addition, a medical certificate must be secured from the UPLB Health Service in case the absence is due to illness. Certification of illness by residence heads, roommates, dorm owners, etc. are inadmissible because they are not doctors.

Illnesses attended elsewhere causing absences from classes shall be reported to the UPLB Health Service within three days after the absences have been incurred. Medical Certificate for the above illnesses as well as for other illnesses of which the Health Service has no records are issued only after satisfactory evidences have been presented to the Health Service.

Excuses are for time missed only. All work covered by the class during the absence shall be made up to the satisfaction of the instructor within a reasonable time from the date of absence.

Time lost by late enrollment shall be considered as time lost by absence.



When the number of hours lost by absence of a student reaches 20 percent of the hours of the scheduled work in one subject, he shall be dropped from the subject. However, a faculty member may prescribe a longer attendance requirement to meet special needs. The table below gives the number of absences allowed before the 20% absence rule applies:

No. of meetings per week (regular semester) Number of excused and unexcused absences allowed
Lecture only Laboratory only
5 16 ---
4 13 ---
3 10 10
2 7 7
1 4 4

NOTE: For combined lecture and laboratory, the number of absences allowed before the 20% absence rule should be determined for each course.

If the majority of the absences are excused, the student shall not be given a grade of ‘5’ upon being dropped. But if the majority of the absences are not excused, he shall be given a grade of ‘5’ upon being dropped.

A student who decides not to register in a subsequent semester must apply for a leave of absence (LOA) beforehand. A student who withdraws during the semester must also apply for LOA. A student who withdraws from the college without formal leave of absence (AWOL) shall have his registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.

A leave of absence should be requested in a written petition to the Dean through the College Secretary. The petition should state the reason for which the leave is desired and should specify the period of the leave. The leave should not exceed one year but may be renewed for at most for another year. When not taken in two (2) successive years, the aggregate LOA should not exceed two (2) years.

A student who needs to go on leave of absence (LOA) beyond the allowable period of two years should be advised to apply for an honorable dismissal without prejudice to readmission.

The College, through the Dean or his duly authorized representative, shall inform the University Registrar and the parents/guardian of every student granted the leave of absence about such leave, indicating the reasons for the same and the amount of money refunded to the student.

For leave of absence availed of during the second half of the semester, the faculty members concerned shall be required to indicate the class standing of the student (passing or failing) at the time of the application for the leave. No application for leave of absence shall be approved without indicating the student's class standing by the instructors concerned. This, however, should not be entered in the Official Report of Grades.

If a student withdraws after 3/4 of the total number of hours prescribed for the course has already elapsed, his instructor may give him a grade of ‘5’ if his class standing up to the time of his withdrawal was below ‘3’.

No leave of absence shall be granted later than two weeks before the last day of classes during the semester. If the inability of the student to continue with his classes is due to illness or similar justifiable causes, his absence during this period shall be considered excused. In such case, the student shall be required to present an excuse slip to the faculty members concerned.

Payment for leave of absence is P 150. A student who goes on leave without filing a leave of absence (AWOL) pays P 225.

On the basis of the number of units completed, a student may be classified as follows:
  Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior(2 year period)
BSAE 0-37 38-78 79-119 120-195
BSChE 0-38 39-79 80-120 121-195
BSChE-ST 0-40 41-81 82-122 123-194/195
BSChE-PPT 0-38 39-79 80-121 122-196
BSCE 0-37 38-75 70-110 111-190
BSEE 0-37 38-74 75-113 114-190
BSIE 0-39 40-77 78-117 118-189

A student must finish the requirements of a course of any college within a period of actual residence equivalent to 1 ½ times the normal length prescribed for the course ( 7.5 years for Engineering program). Otherwise, he shall not be allowed to register further in that college.

(Approved by the CEAT Faculty on January 9, 2012)

A student may, with the consent of his instructor and the Dean, drop a course by filling out the prescribed UP Form before three-fourths (3/4) of the hours prescribed for the semester term have elapsed, and not later.

Any student who drops a course without the approval of the Dean shall have his registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.

If a course is dropped after the middle of the term, the faculty member concerned shall indicate the date and the class standing of the student at the time of dropping as either Passing or Failing solely for administrative guidance. However, whether the student is passing or not, his grade for the course will be indicated as ‘DRP’ unless the 20% absences rule applies to him (see section on Attendance) and the majority of the absences are not excused.

If it is the intention of the student to drop a course, he should accomplish the dropping slip immediately. If the student stops attending the courses without the official dropping of the course, he takes the risk of getting a grade of ‘5’ on the basis of the 20 % absences rule.

Notwithstanding this University rule, the CEAT faculty adopted the general policy of STRICT DROPPING especially if the student is failing in any of the courses he registered due to unexcused absences. The exceptions to this college rule are: (a) serious illness covering a period of more than two weeks as certified by a duly licensed attending physician which must be authenticated by the Director of the UPLB Health Service; (b) parent’s written declaration of their inability to maintain their child’s continuing studies; and (c) any other reason which may be declared highly meritorious by the College Committees on Student Admission and Readmission and on Faculty, Staff and Student Awards.

A student may request to substitute a course in his curriculum for another prescribed course but taken in another unit of the University. Every substitution of subjects must be based on at least one of the following:

  1. when a student is pursuing a curriculum that has been superseded by a new one and the substitution tends to bring the old curriculum in line with the new;
  2. conflict of hours between two required subjects; or
  3. when the required subject is not offered during the semester when the student needs it.

In addition, every petition for substitution must :

  1. involve subjects within the same department, if possible; if not, the two subjects concerned must be allied to each other;
  2. be between subjects in which the subject substituted carries a number of units equal to or greater than the units of the required subject;
  3. be recommended by the adviser and by the heads of the institute/ departments concerned.

All petition for substitution must be submitted to the Office of the Dean concerned before 12 percent of the regular class meetings have been held. Any petition submitted thereafter shall be considered for the following semester.

No substitution shall be allowed for any subject prescribed in the curriculum in which the student has failed or received a grade of ‘5’ or an unremoved grade of ‘4’, except when, in the opinion of the department offering the prescribed subject, or of the faculty in units without any department, the proposed substitute covers substantially the same subject matter as the required subject.

All applications for substitution shall be acted upon by the Dean concerned. In case the action of the Dean is adverse to the recommendation of the adviser and the head of the department concerned, the student may appeal to the Vice Chancellor for Instruction whose decision shall be final.

(OC Memorandum No. 105, Series of 2008, August 26, 2008)

The UPLB University Council approved the following policies on enrollment of thesis/practicum/dissertation:

  1. For undergraduate thesis/practicum (course 200/200a) and master's thesis (course 300), the six (6) units total credit should be broken down for registration each term in equal fractions of 2-2-2 or 3-3. For doctoral dissertation (course 400), the semestral distribution of the 12 units total credit should be 3-3-3-3 and 4-4-4.
  2. A grade of "S"or "U" should be given at the end of each term while work is in progress. Upon completion of the work (when the student is ready to submit the required number of copies of the approved manuscript), a numerical grade should be given instead of "S" or "U".
  3. A student who has already registered a total of 6 units for undergraduate thesis/practicum or master's thesis, or 12 units of doctoral dissertation but still unable to finish the work, should continue registering one (1) unit per term until he/she is able to submit the copies of approved manuscript, but only up to a maximum of 3 terms (2 semesters, 1 summer) for undergraduate thesis/practicum and 6 terms (4 semesters, 2 summers) for graduate thesis/dissertation.

If at the end of this time limit, the student is still unable to submit copies of the approved manuscript, he/she shall be given a grade of "U" and should re-enroll all the 6 or 12 units. The same policies as in the first enrollment will apply in this case. However, a student who is a candidate for graduation during the semesterand/or only has thesis/practicum /dissertation to enroll, may be allowed to register the whole six (6) units total credit for 200/200a/300 courses and twelve (12) units total credit for a 400 course. (OC Memorandum No. 124, Series of 2008, October 28, 2008)


A division or department chairman, with the approval of the Dean, may authorize any faculty member of his unit to suspend formal classes for a period not exceeding three days before the final examinations to enable students to review. In case of colleges with no divisions or departments, the suspension may be done by any member of the faculty but also subject to the approval of the Dean.

Faculty members who have been authorized to suspend their classes shall keep regular hours for consultation work.



The maximum period for each final examination shall be four hours. [Art 370, UP Code]. Students are no longer required to present a final examination permit to their instructors [UPLB University Council, May 20 1980].



The performance of the students shall be rated at the end of each semester in accordance with the following grading system:

1.25 & 1.00 Excellent
1.75 & 1.50 Very Good
2.25 & 2.00 Good
2.75 & 2.50 Satisfactory
3.00 Pass
4.00 Conditional
5.00 Failure
INC Incomplete
DRP Dropped

 For courses not requiring numerical grades:

S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory

 A grade of ‘4’ means “conditional”. It may be removed only by reexamination taken within the prescribed time of one (1) academic year. If the student passes the reexamination, he shall be given a grade of ‘3’, but if he fails, a ‘5’ shall be given. Only one reexamination is allowed which must be taken within the prescribed time. If a student does not remove the grade of ‘4’ within the prescribed time, the grade of ‘4’ becomes ‘5’.

In this case, he may earn credit for the same course only by repeating and passing it. A grade of ‘4’ given for the first semester work of a two-semester course shall be converted to a grade of ‘3’ if the student passes the second semester part of the same course in the same academic year; if he fails, the grade of ‘4’ which he received for the first semester work shall be converted to a grade of ‘5’. (Please see New Policies on the Grade of ‘4’ in the preceding section).

The grade of INC. is given if a student whose class standing throughout the semester is PASSING but fails to take the final examination or fails to complete other requirements for the course, due to illness or other valid reasons. In case the class standing is not passing and the student fails to take the final examination for any reason, a grade of ‘5‘ is given. Removal of the INC. must be done within the prescribed time by passing an examination or meeting all the requirements for the course, after which, the student shall be given a final grade based on his overall performance.



A student who has received a passing grade in a given course is not allowed reexamination for the purpose of improving his grade.

If a student withdraws after three-fourths of the semester has already passed (this coincides with the last day for dropping of courses), the Instructor shall indicate in the grade sheet under Final Grade ‘DRP’ under Remarks ‘LOA’.

However, if a student withdraws after three-fourths of the semester has already elapsed, the instructor may give him a grade of ‘5’ if his class standing up to the time of his withdrawal was below ‘3’. If the instructor does not want to give him a grade of ‘5’, he merely indicates in the grade sheet under Final Grade ‘DRP’ and under Remarks, ‘LOA’. [Art 402].

No student is allowed to take any removal examination unless a Removal Permit is issued by the College Secretary and presented to the Professor/Instructor concerned. Removal permit must be secured from the Office of the College Secretary 5-7 days before the removal date.

There shall be a regular period for removing grades of ‘4’ and ‘INC.’ before the start of each semester.

Examinations for the removal of grades of ‘INC.’ or ‘4’ may be taken without fee: (1) during the regular examination period, if the subject is included in the schedule of examinations, and (2) during the removal examination period, viz., the period covering ten days preceding the registration in each semester during which period provided that the examination is taken at the time that it is scheduled.

Removal examinations may be taken at other times on the recommendation of the Dean and upon payment of a required fee per subject. Students not in residence shall pay the registration fee on top of the examination fee (where required) in order to be entitled to take the removal examination.

A grade of ‘4’ or ‘INC.’ may no longer be improved after the end of the third regular removal period immediately following the semester/term in which the grade was incurred. EXAMPLE:

Semester/term in which 4 or INC was incurred Deadline for Removal
1st semester 2008-2009 Regular removal period immediately preceding the 2nd semester 2009-2010
2nd semester 2008-2009 Regular removal period immediately preceding the 1st semester 2010-2011

A grade of ‘4’ received after removing a grade of ‘INC.’, however, must be removed within the remaining portion of the prescribed period for the removal of the original grade of ‘INC.’



A student who obtains a grade of ‘4’ in a basic sequence in languages (English, Filipino, Spanish) may enroll in the next higher course, subject to the following conditions:

  1. if he passes the higher course, he automatically removes the ‘4’ in the lower course. His teacher in the lower course submits a removal grade of ‘3‘ for him.
  2. if he fails in the higher course, he may still remove the ‘4’ in the lower course.
  3. if he gets a ‘4’ in the higher course, he should take first a removal examination in that course before taking a removal examination in the lower course. If he fails the removal examination in the higher course, he may take the removal examination in the lower course.


The UPLB University Council in its meeting held on June 27, 2000, approved the revision of the computation of the General Weighted Average (GWA) with a grade of ‘4’. This was subsequently approved by the President and presented by Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Ma. Serena I. Diokno to the 178th meeting of the President’s Advisory Council (PAC) held on March 22, 2001. The new guidelines shall take effect in the First Semester 2001-2002. This will apply initially to the new freshmen of SY 2001-2002. The revised guidelines are summarized below:

  1. To compute GWA with a grade of ‘4’, use actual grade on the premise that ‘4’ is conditional.
  2. Remove ‘4’ only by passing removal exam; no re-enrolment in course is allowed unless student fails removal exam.
  3. If not removed within the prescribed period (one year), grade of ‘4’ automatically becomes ‘5’. Grade will be changed by the Registrar upon prior information to the concerned teacher and adviser or in their absence, the department chair or institute director.
  4. Use actual grade (‘3’, ‘4’ until it is removed, or ‘5’) to compute GWA, counting the subject once. This means that if the student gets a removal grade of ‘5’, this grade is included in the computation of the GWA; the grade the student gets after re-enrolling the course shall also be included in the computation of the GWA.

University Scholarship. Any undergraduate student who obtains at the end of the semester a weighted average of 1.45 or better, is given this honorific scholarship. University scholars are listed in the Chancellor's List of Scholars.

College Scholarship. Any undergraduate student who, not being classed as University scholar, obtains at the end of the semester a weighted average of 1.75 or better, is given this honorific scholarship. College Scholars are listed in the Dean's List of Scholars.

Additional requirements for honorific scholarship. In addition to the general weighted average prescribed, a student must have taken during the previous semester at least 15 units of academic credit or the normal load prescribed ; and must have no grade below 3 in any academic or non-academic subject. [Art. 385,UP Code]

Honorific scholarships last for one semester, renewable for the succeeding semester, if the student meets the prescribed conditions. Honorific scholarships do not entitle the holders to any tuition fee waiver, either partial or full.

For the purpose of determining the scholastic status of the students, a grade of INC is not included in the computation of weighted average grade for each semester or summer. When it is replaced by a final grade, the latter will be included in the grades during the semester when the removal is made. The grade of ‘4’ is counted until it is removed. Once removed, only the final grade of ‘3’ or ‘5’ is counted.

The faculty of each college or school shall approve suitable and effective provisions governing undergraduate delinquent students, subject to the following minimum standards:



Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades below 3 in 25 percent to 49 percent of the total number of academic units for which he is registered will receive a warning from the Dean to improve his work.



Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades below 3 in 50 percent to 75 percent of the total number of academic units in which he has final grades shall be placed on probation for the succeeding semester and his load shall be limited to the extent to be determined by the Dean.

Probation may be removed by passing with grades of 3 or better in more than 50 percent of the units in which he has final grades in the succeeding semester.





At the end of every semester, students are required to check their grades and scholastic status to determine if they are eligible to enroll on the following semester. If a student is on probationary, Dismissed or on Permanently Disqualified status, he/she can improve his/ her standing only on specified periods.

If a student has incurred a grade of 4.00 or INC. with a probationary, dismissed or permanently disqualified status, he can improve his academic standing to be able to enroll the next semester only on the following periods:

Semester in which 4 or Inc was incurred Deadline for removal to improve the status
1st semester Before the 1st day of the regular registration of the 2nd semester
2nd semester

Before the date of graduation

Students who are dropped for reasons of double probation, dismissal or permanent disqualification must first qualify for readmission before they are allowed to register during the succeeding semester. Applications for readmission are processed at the Office of Student Affairs.

No readmission of dismissed students or disqualified students shall be considered by the College deans without the favorable recommendation of the Dean of Students. Cases in which the action of the College Dean conflicts with the recommendation of the Dean of Students may be elevated to the Vice Chancellor for Instruction. His decision shall be final.

The list of documents and the procedure for readmission are posted in the College Secretary’s bulletin boards. Deadline for submission of documents is listed in the academic calendar.

Readmission Flowchart

A student in good standing who desires to sever his connection with the university shall present a written petition to this effect to the University Registrar, signed by his parent or guardian. If the petition is granted, the student shall be given honorable dismissal. Without such petition and favorable action, no record of honorable dismissal shall be made.

Generally, honorable dismissal is voluntary withdrawal from the University with consent of the University Registrar. All indebtedness to the University must be adjusted before a statement of honorable dismissal will be issued. The statement indicates that the student withdrew in good standing as far as character and conduct are concerned. If the student has been dropped from the rolls on account of poor scholarship, a statement to that effect may be added to the honorable dismissal.

A student who leave the University for reason of expulsion due to disciplinary action shall be allowed to obtain his/her academic transcript of record without reference to Dishonorable Dismissal, provided:

  1. The student writes an application;
  2. Not less than one (1) school year, beginning the school year immediately following the effectivity of the expulsion decision has elapsed;
  3. The party concerned, during the period of expulsion, has not been involved in any untoward incident affecting the University, or been charged in Court after the fiscal’s investigation; and
  4. All such applications are subject to Board of Regents action.

Section 5, Rule VII of the Revised Rules and Regulations Governing Fraternities, Sororities, and other Organizations, however, provides that the University Registrar shall make a permanent entry in the transcript of records of the student the fact of his/her having been expelled or suspended under the said rules. The student may not apply to have such entries deleted.

A student who wishes to transfer to another unit of the University should file an application for transfer to the Dean. Transfer to another unit should be requested in a written petition to the Dean, noted by the parents and endorsed by his academic adviser and department chair/institute director. The petition should state the reason for transfer and the desired course to be taken. If the action of the Dean is favorable, the student may request a true copy of grades from the College Secretary for submission to the accepting college/university. If the action of the accepting college is favorable, the student gets a clearance, which is presented to the accepting college together with the permit to transfer.

Approved by the CEAT Executive committee on September 3, 2012


The College would like to have a uniform set of guidelines for all its degree programs; thus, a committee was formed to work on the college policy on shifting and transferring. For the past years, the CEAT Committee on Student Admission and Readmission is in charge of conducting the evaluation and interview of applicants for transferring and shifting. The members of the committee include the IAE Director, all Department Chairs and the College Secretary. The College believes that one of the fundamental reasons for a decreased graduation rate is the lack of proper guidelines in shifting and transferring. Furthermore, most students requesting to shift/transfer to the UP Campuses have high General Weighted Average. Thus, the potential number of honor graduates will be reduced.

Also, the College strongly discourages students from using CEAT-UPLB as a back door to enter other UP Campuses. Slots are better off awarded to students who are willing to finish the 5-year program of the College rather than to those who would eventually transfer to other UP Campuses after a year.


Justification: This is to give sufficient time for the student to appreciate the engineering course offered by UPLB.

Justification: Waitlisted slots are limited and should better be given to those who are willing to see the course through.

Educational field trip should be requested by the concerned Instructor in a written petition to the Dean through the College Secretary. The petition should be approved by the Chair and should specify the date, destination and purpose of the trip. The list of students concerned shall be attached in the petition together with the waiver of the university responsibilities and group insurance policy.

The last day of holding educational field trip and other activities is listed in the academic calendar.

No student shall be recommended for graduation unless he has satisfied all academic and other requirements prescribed thereto. The student shall consult with the Office of the College Secretary for academic and non-academic requirements.

Candidates for graduation who began their studies under a curriculum which is more than 10 years old shall be governed by the following rules:

  1. Those who had completed all the requirements of the curriculum but did not apply for, nor were granted the corresponding degree or title shall have their graduation approved as of the date they should have originally graduated.
  2. Those who had completed all but two or three subjects required by a curriculum shall be made to follow any of the curricula enforced from the time they first attended the University to the present

During the first three weeks after the opening of classes in each semester, each Dean or his duly authorized representative shall certify to the University Registrar a list of candidates for graduation at the next commencement. The University Registrar, in consultation with the chairmen of divisions or departments concerned, in the case of students majoring in their respective departments or divisions, shall then inquire into the academic record of each candidate with a view of ascertaining whether any candidate in such a list has any deficiency to make up for and whether he has fulfilled all other requirements which qualify him to be a candidate for graduation. However, footnotes to that effect should be given. Ten weeks before the end of a semester, the Registrar shall publish a complete list of duly qualified candidates for graduation for that semester.



The requirements for graduation include the completion of all academic as well as non-academic requirements such as submission of bound copies of the thesis, if thesis is required.

Students who have completed all requirements for graduation on or before the deadline set for this purpose are listed as candidates for graduation as of the end of that semester.

If however, some graduation requirements are completed beyond the deadline, the student must register during the succeeding semester in order to be considered a candidate for graduation as of the end of that semester. The deadline for completion of the requirements for graduation are:

All candidates for graduation must have their deficiencies made up and their records cleared not later than five weeks before the end of their last semester except those in academic subjects and in Physical Education and Citizen Military Training in which the student is currently enrolled during that semester.

No student shall graduate from the University unless he has completed at least one year of residence work which may, however, be extended to a longer period by the proper faculty. The residence work referred to must be done immediately prior to graduation.

No student who fails to pay the required graduation fee within the specified period set by the University Registrar shall be conferred any title or degree. Such a student may, however, upon his request and payment of the necessary fees, be given a certified copy of his credentials without specifying his completion of the requirements toward any title or degree.



Instead of a separate application for graduation, graduating students should check the appropriate box in their registration Form 5 to indicate whether they are graduating or not at the end of the term. This information shall serve as the basis for identifying candidates for graduation so that their records can be checked early enough.



Students who have completed all the academic requirements for their respective degrees may be recommended for graduation even if they have not processed their clearance. However, the granting of honorable dismissal and the issuance of the transcript checklist and diploma shall be withheld pending submission of clearance by the student.



Students who complete their courses with the following absolute minimum weighted average grade shall graduate with honors:

Summa cum laude 1.20
Magna cum laude 1.45
Cum laude 1.75

All the grades in all subjects prescribed in the curriculum, as well as subjects that qualify as electives, shall be included in the computation of the weighted average grade.

Furthermore, in cases where the electives taken are more than those required in the program, the following procedure will be used in selecting the electives to be included in the computation of the weighted average grade:

  1. For students who did not shift programs, consider the required number of elective in chronological order.
  2. For students who shifted from one program to another, the electives to be considered shall be selected according to the following order of priority:
    1. Electives taken in the program where the student is graduating will be selected in chronological order.
    2. Electives taken in the previous program and acceptable as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.
    3. Prescribed course taken in the previous program but qualify as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.



Candidates for graduation with honors must have completed in the University at least 75 percent of the total number of academic units or hours for graduation.

In the computation of the final average of candidates for graduation with honors, only resident credits shall be included.

Students who are candidates for graduation with honors must have taken during each semester not less than 15 units of credit or the normal load prescribed in the curriculum. In cases where such normal load is less than 15 units, unless the lighter load was due to justifiable causes such as health reasons, unavailability of courses needed in the curriculum to complete the full load, or the fact that the candidate is a working student, students cannot be considered for graduation with honors.

To justify under loading, the submission of the following documents is required:

It is the responsibility of the student to establish beyond reasonable doubt the veracity of the cause(s) of his light loading. It is required in this connection that documents submitted to establish the cause(s) of his loading, such as certificate of employment and/or medical certificate, must be sworn to. These documents must be submitted during the semester of under loading.



Attendance in the general commencement exercises shall be optional. Graduating students who choose not to participate in the general commencement exercises must so inform their respective deans or their duly designated representatives at least ten days before the commencement exercises.

Graduating students who absent themselves from the general commencement exercises shall obtain their diplomas, or certificates and transcripts of records from the Office of the University Registrar provided that they comply with the above provision and upon presentation of the receipt of payment of the graduation fee and student's clearance.

Academic costumes. Candidates for graduation with degrees or titles which require no less than four years of collegiate instruction shall be required to wear academic costumes during the baccalaureate service and commencement exercises in accordance with the rules and regulations of the University.

The University maintains various records of students to document their academic progress as well as to record their interaction with University staff and officials. Students’ records are generally considered confidential except the directory of currently registered students which is open to the public. The directory provides information on each student’s name, I.D. number, college, course, classification and college address.



Student records are confidential and information is released only at the request of the student or of appropriate institutions. “Partial” transcripts are not issued. Official transcript of records obtained from other institutions and submitted to the University for admission and/or transfer of credit become part of the student’s permanent record and are issued as true copies with the UP transcript.

Application for transcript of records shall be filed at the Office of the University Registrar upon presentation of the student clearance. A certain fee for transcript preparation will be charged to the concerned party. Graduates are encouraged to request for their transcripts as early as possible to avoid unnecessary delay.



When a student has pending financial obligations to the University, or when he has been charged with an official disciplinary action, the appropriate University official may request that the student's record, e.g., transcripts, registration forms, be withheld. Departments and offices for example, submit before the end of each semester the names of students with financial accountabilities to the students' respective College Secretaries so that the action may be rescinded. The Office of the College Secretary concerned or University Registrar must receive written authorization from the official who originally requested the action, indicating that the student has met the obligation.

(Revised UP System Code, Chapter 76, Articles 455-456)

Students shall at all times observe the laws of the land and the rules and regulations of the University.

No disciplinary proceedings shall be instituted except for conduct prohibited by law or by the rules and regulations promulgated by duly constituted authority of the University.

A student shall be subject to disciplinary action for any of the following acts: